Saturday, August 31, 2013

Whatever Has Happened To Miss Laurie?

Dear Friends,

Please forgive my long absence and general lack of interesting posts over the last few weeks. This summer has been super busy with work, weddings, church activities, etc. But last weekend something happened that is shortly to change my life completely.

A couple weeks ago my mother's 90-year-old grandmother had a nasty fall and broke her shoulder. She's needed lots of help and her extended family had been bickering about how to best care for her - nursing home or in-home care. My grandfather and the rest of our branch of the family favored in-home care - which is where I come in. With my 6+ years experience of working with dementia patients and my healthcare skills and my state of singleness I am the perfect candidate to care for Gram. The family asked if I would go to New York to care for her and...I said "yes".

Saying yes was easy but then the hard part began. Going means quitting my cafe job here, saying good-bye to my wonderful work family, leaving my caring church family, uprooting my life from my immediate family (who I've never lived away from), packing my belongings for an extended stay and moving the 9 hours away from Kentucky to New York state. At this time it is uncertain how long Gram will need me - until her shoulder heals for longer as her memory fades.  I can't quite accurately describe the emotional roller coaster I've been on for the last week. Monday when I told my boss and co-workers I was leaving I got so many hugs and near tears it felt like it was actually my last day of work - but then I had two weeks of work to get through. I will miss the folks at the Creation Museum more than I can say, they have been so very special to me!

God keeps confirming my decision to go by working out the details and also working on my heart through scripture, sermons and songs. I know moving to care for Gram is what He wants me to do but at the same time it is hard to leave my life here in KY because I love it so much and was really looking forward to lots of things this Fall/Winter and beyond.

Please pray for me as I continue to make my preparations for the move. Pray for the drive up to NY with my family scheduled for September 6th. Pray that I will have wisdom in how best to care for Gram. Pray that I stay healthy and well from sickness. Most of all please pray that my words, actions and attitudes will be a testimony to God's faithfulness and to the joy that comes from serving Jesus. There are a lot of people watching me right now and I want to show them how much I love them and love the Lord..

While I have these plans ahead of me it looks very much like I shall be forced to take a break from posting at Old-Fashioned Charm for a while. Please bear with me during this silence that I hope will break towards the end of September.

Thank you for your patience and your prayers!

God Bless,
  

23 comments:

Rhoswen Faerie Wrose said...

Aww! I'll miss you around here!
But I'm glad your reasons are so good. I'm sure your grandparents will love having you around, and you will be a major blessing to them.
God bless you as you take this step into your future, and His peace continually reign in you. *hugs*

If you ever need/want to talk, you have my email. ;-)

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

So sorry to hear about your Gram...I'll be praying for her health as she recovers. I'll also be keeping you in my prayers as you make this huge life change. I'm sure it's been a blessing and a comfort to see God's hand at work every step of the way, and yet it will still be such a huge adjustment for you.

I've enjoyed following and reading your blog these past few years and will look forward to a time when you can post again. :)

Vicki said...

Just said a prayer for you, Laurie! I hope everything goes really well for you and that you grow a lot through this experience!!

Love in Christ,
Vicki

BatZion` said...

Thinking of you and praying, dear Miss Laurie! :)

Meredith said...

What a blessing you are to your grandma and family!! Hope the travels and transition go smoothly!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry about your grandmother! My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'll miss you and your blogging, but I understand and I think it's a wonderful thing that you're doing!

-The Madd Rose

Carla Gade said...

I randomly found you blog and think it is indeed so charming. I pray that things will go well for your move and that God' will bless your decision to help your grandmother. My mom had a fall about 18 months ago and I had to go live with her for 2 months. It is an important choice you have made. I'm sure you will be missed at the Creation Museum (which my mom and I enjoyed visiting 3 years ago!), though it appears that the Lord has set you on a new path. May He bless you on it.

Emma Jane said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma's fall. I'm sure you will be a huge blessing and she will be so grateful to have you there. We'll miss you around here! I admire you for leaving your home and family to do this for your Gram, I'm sure it's not an easy decision. I hope all goes well with your move, you will be in my thoughts and my prayers!

Love and prayers,
~Emma

Kate Gorman said...

Good luck and best wishes

Hugs from England

A Candle to Read By said...

God Bless you, Miss Laurie. When He calls us, He will provide. You are obviously a blessing to your family there in KY and in NY. I have your buttons on my blog, and I hope that when things settle for you, you can guest post. Our family loves the Creation Museum, too, and will be traveling there to represent Truett MCConnell College in November.

Delvalina said...

Oh dear miss Laurie,
you have a kind heart and lovely person in Christ.
I was not much to come and read your post because it always ended with no idea to comment about the movie you've posted but your blog has been my favorite.
I will be praying for you. It's hard sometimes for the circumstances but God knows the best. Thank you for sharing the beautiful side of you that inspiring me today. I will hear from you back.

blessing,
delvalina

Alexandra said...

Praying for you!!! Take all the time you need, I know how difficult times like this can be! <3

Anonymous said...

goodness, what a change for you! but i'm sure it will be filled to the brim with all sorts of adventures. enjoy your time in new york, sweet miss laurie. i'll be keeping you and your gram in my prayers.

Katelyn said...

I know God will bless you for wanting to help out with your grandmother; what an example to others! I will definitely be praying for an easy transition and move.

Elisa said...

I'm sorry to read about your grandmother. Chime on what others have written.

I hope other family members will step up and help in some way with your grandmother's care and recovery. Even good caregivers need a break at times!

We'll be here when you come back.

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Wow! What a selfless decision, Laurie! My own Grandma lived with my parents for the past 8 years, until she died a couple months ago, and from all my visits to their house over those years, I've seen how much care an elderly person in pretty good health and of sound mind can require. May God bless you with patience, wisdom, and strength!

Miss Jane Bennet said...

I will miss your post, but I'm glad you're helping your Gram. I'll be praying for you both.

Jennifer said...

So sorry to hear about your grandmother! She is blessed to have you. I hope your sojourn in New York turns out to be an adventure with many good memories. I hope you will return to this blog as you are able, as I've only just discovered it and I think we must be kindred spirits. :)

Birdie said...

Good to hear from you, Miss Laurie and to let us know what is happening in your life. I wish you good luck with all the changes going on in your life right now: packing, moving etc.

May God bless you in this new path,
Birdie

Ivy said...

*Thinking of you* Praying for you and your Grandma's recovery.*

Jessa Bri said...

Praying for you! God has a plan for everything and His way is best.

Just a little note on the side (if you get the time), I have tagged you in something delightful! http://freckledadventures.blogspot.com/2013/09/release-of-christmas-at.html

Langsather Letters said...

You have such a great opportunity to be a blessing to your grandmother! Sorry that she broke her shoulder and I am going to miss you dearly. Take care and write when you can.

Kirsten Fichter said...

I don't know how I missed this until now!! I'm so sorry to hear about your Gram! My family has added you both to our prayer list, and I do hope she's feeling better soon! My own grandmother has Parkinson's disease and she fell last year and broke her leg, so I know how difficult this type of situation can be. May God bless you!

Looking forward to seeing you once more in the wonderful world of blogs! I miss your posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...