Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Joining in the Charles Dickens Reading Challenge


February 7, 2012 marks the 200th anniversary of Charles Dickens' birth. Abby of Newly Impassioned Soul has issued a Charles Dickens Reading Challenge where she is encouraging others to join her, over the next year, in reading (or re-reading) 3, 5 or 10 of Dickens' books.  

As "I am not a great reader" I have decided to take the easier challenge of reading 3 Books. I'm excited to join in this challenge because I've only read A Christmas Carol and have long wanted to read more Dickens! 

Right now I'm planning on reading A Tale of Two Cities (which sits on my book shelf), and hopefully Great Expectations but I'm unsure what the third book will be - overall I'm going to stick with shorter books instead of attempting any of the longer ones. 

Thanks to Abby for hosting this challenge, I look forward to reading your Charles Dickens related posts and joining in the challenge! I'm hoping to do some posts about my reading and some other Dickens related things this coming year as well.

If you haven't heard about this challenge I encourage you to visit Abby's blog and join in reading Dickens!


Have you read much Charles Dickens? 
Which of his books do you most want to read?

6 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

I am still wading my way through Our Mutual Friend; not sure I can do more than that, although A Tale of Two Cities or A Christmas Carol are easy reads. I had a friend (now deceased) who took a whole semester course on OMF. It is a complex book. Anyone else read it?

Christine said...

I have read Our Mutual Friend, and it was one of my favorites; I identified with Bella Wilfer so much! I started reading Dickens when I was 18, and now 8 years later I am almost done with his complete works, just have to finish his short stories and speeches; that is my goal for his birthday year!

Here is a link to a website with his complete works:

http://www.dickens-literature.com/

It might be easier for less voracious readers to read his short stories and speeches (though they seem to lack his masterful touch) if they want to take the Charles Dickens Reading Challenge 2012.

Carissa said...

The only Dickens books I have read have been A Christmas Carol and Oliver Twist

Jessica said...

I once tried to read A Tale of Two Cities and got about as far as the first paragraph. :-/ Oh, dear.
I do like Bleak House. :-) I rewatched it recently. your picture of Mr. Guppy on the sidebar makes me laugh. Ha He is such a hilarious character, although there is a point in the movie where I dislike him, and the first time I watched it, I thought he was very crawly. Ha

Alyssa said...

I started reading Dicken's last year and love his writing! Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities, Little Dorrit and very recently David Copperfield have all gone down very well. I'm looking forward to knocking Bleak House over in the next lot of holidays I get!

Miss Lilli said...

I love Our Mutual Friend, Oliver Twist, Little Dorrit, and Nicholas Nickleby. I don't have a lot of time to read because I am in college, so I have been listening to them on audio book :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...